- Nekrasov M, Ginier M, Allen R, Artamonova A, Belding E. "Impact of 802.15.4 Radio Antenna Orientation on UAS Aerial Data Collection" In Proceedings of 29th International Conference on Computer, Communication and Networks (ICCCN). 2020.
- Paul U, Alexander E, Nekrasov M, Adrash V, Belding E. "#Outage: Detecting Power and Communication Outages from Social Network." In Proceedings of the Web Conference (WWW). 2020.
- Nekrasov M, Adarsh V, Paul U, Showalter E, Zegura E, Vigil-Hayes M, Belding E. "Evaluating LTE Coverage and Quality from an Unmanned Aircraft System." In Proceedings of the 16th IEEE International Conference on Mobile Ad-Hoc and Smart Systems (MASS). 2019.
- Adarsh V, Nekrasov M, Belding E. "Packet-level Congestion Estimation in LTE Networks using Passive Measurements." In Proceedings of the Internet Measurement Conference, pp. 158-164. 2019.
- Nekrasov M, Allen R, Artamonova I, Belding E. "Optimizing 802.15. 4 Outdoor IoT Sensor Networks for Aerial Data Collection". MDPI Journal of Sensors, 19(16), p. 3479. 2019.
- Nekrasov, M. Allen, R. Belding, E. "Performance Analysis of Aerial Data Collection from Outdoor IoT Sensor Networks using 2.4GHz 802.15.4". In Proceedings of the 5th Workshop on Micro Aerial Vehicle Networks, Systems, and Applications (DroNet), pp. 33-38. 2019. (Best Paper)
- Nekrasov, M., Iland, D., Metzger, M., Parks, L. and Belding, E., "A user-driven free speech application for anonymous and verified online, public group discourse". Journal of Internet Services and Applications, 9(1) p. 21. 2018.
- Nekrasov, M., Iland, D., Metzger, M., Zhao, B. and Belding, E., "SecurePost: Verified Group-Anonymity on Social Media." In 7th USENIX Workshop on Free and Open Communications on the Internet (FOCI). 2017.
- Nekrasov, M, Parks, L., and Belding, E. "Limits to internet freedoms: Being heard in an increasingly authoritarian world". In Proceedings of the 2017 Workshop on Computing Within Limits (Limits), pp. 119-128. 2017.
- (POSTER) Adarsh V, Nekrasov M, Paul U, Showalter E, Vigil-Hayes M, Zegura E, Belding E. "Towards Robust Evaluation of LTE Coverage and Quality using Unmanned Aircraft System." In Proceedings of the Internet Measurement Conference. 2019.
- (POSTER) Allen, R. Nekrasov, M. Belding, E. "Data Collection from Outdoor IoT 802.15.4 Sensor Networks using Unmanned Aerial Systems." In Proceeding of the 11th annual international conference on Mobile systems, applications, and services (MobiSys). 2019.
- (POSTER) Paul, U. Nekrasov, M. Belding, E. "Emergence: A Delay Tolerant Web Application for Disaster Relief." In Proceeding of the 20th annual International Workshop on Mobile Computing Systems and Applications (HotMobile). Feb 2019.
- Zheleva, M., Nekrasov, M. "MobiSys 2013." IEEE Pervasive Computing. 2013.
- Nekrasov, M., Chumkiew, S., Shin, P. "Android at Bandon Bay: Low-Cost Environmental Monitoring and Event Detection Using Smartphones." Graduate Student Workshop on Computing. 2013.
- (POSTER) Nekrasov, M., Chumkiew, S., Shin, P. "Instrumenting Thailand’s Coastline: Mobile Devices for Environmental and Disaster Monitoring." In Proceeding of the 11th annual international conference on Mobile systems, applications, and services (MobiSys), pp. 535-536. 2013.
- Jaroensutasinee, M., Jaroensutasinee, K., Bainbridge, S., Fountain, T., Chumkiew, S., Noonsang, P. Kuhapon, U. Vannarat, S. Poyai, S. Nekrasov, M. "Sensor Networks Applications for Reefs at Racha Island, Thailand." In Proceeding of the 12th International Coral Reef Symposium (ICRS), Cairns, Australia, p. 95. 2012.
- Jaroensutasinee, Krisanadej, M. Jaroensutasinee, S. Bainbridge, T. Fountain, S. Holbrook, and M. Nekrasov. "CREON–Integrating Disparate Sources of Remote Coral Reef Sensor Data." In Proceedings of the 12th International Coral Reef Symposium (ICRS), Cairns, Australia, pp. 9-13. 2012.
- Fountain, T., Sameer, T., Shin, P. Nekrasov, M. "The Open Source DataTurbine Initiative: Empowering the Scientific Community with Streaming Data Middleware." Bulletin of the Ecological Society of America. 93(3), pp.242-252. 2012.
- Fountain, T., Nekrasov, M., Jaroensutasinee, M., Jaroensutasinee, K., Chumkiew, S., Noonsang, P., Kuhapong, U. and Bainbridge, S. "Coral Sensor Network at Racha Island, Thailand." In Proceedings of the Environmental Information Management Conference (EIM). 2011.
- Lu, S. S., Perry, M., Nekrasov, M., Fountain, T., Arzberger, P., Wang, Y. H., & Lin, C. C. "Automatic Analysis of Camera Image Data: An Example of Honey Bee (Apis cerana) Images from the Shanping Wireless Sensor Network." Taiwan Journal of Forest Science, 26(3), pp.305-311. 2011.
Eight-year academic with work experience including leadership, research, outreach, policy development, and administrative roles. Interdisciplinary and cross-sectoral collaborations with various departments at UCSD, UCSB, and LTER member sites as well as with international organizations in Australia, Mongolia, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, and Zambia.
UC Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara, CA, USA
PhD Research on Wireless Aerial Disaster Networks Project
Designed applied solutions for locating and communicating with affected individuals during environmental disasters using unmanned aerial drones. – 20hrs per week
Research Assistant on SecurePost Project, MOMENT Lab, Computer Science Department
Collaborated with interdisciplinary team of 10 PhD students, 5 faculty, and over 15 international community partner organizations to design and implement technologies for managing real-world obstructions to freedom of speech in developing regions – 20hrs per week.
Computer Science Department Student Senate, Graduate Student Recruitment Committee,
Member of graduate student forum for department committees, policies and events. – 3-6hrs per week
Tha Sala, Nakhon Si Thammarat Province, Thailand
Fulbright Scholar, Center of Excellence in Ecoinformatics
Led international research partnership to develop real-time flood detection for protecting aquaculture in the Gulf of Thailand– 40+hrs per week.
NSF Funded Internship, Center of Excellence in Ecoinformatics
Deployed coral reef observatory at Racha Yai (island near Phuket) – 40+hrs per week.
UC San Diego
San Diego, CA, USA
Research Assistant, California Institute for Telecommunications and Information Technology [CALIT2]
Developed technologies for real-time data streaming and analysis as part of the Open Source Data Turbine Initiative – 20hrs per week.
Pacific Rim Undergraduate Experiences [PRIME] Scholar, National Museum of Marine Biology and Aquarium, Taiwan
Automated coral spawning detection using computer vision coupled with coral fluorescence – 40hrs per week.
Front-End Web Engineer
Lead front-end web engineer for Institutional Shareholder Services.
Administered a private consulting business for occasional jobs including web development, small business computer network instillation and troubleshooting, and photography. Requires high level of flexibility, understanding client needs, communicating expectations, meeting deadlines, and communicating technical constraints and solutions in clear understandable language.
Front-End Web Developer
Lead front-end web developer for MobileTrac, a startup specializing in vehicle history reports. Worked in a team with marketing, business, and back-end programmers to develop a commercial website selling instant vehicle history reports. Required meeting tight deadlines, co-ordinating with members who had varying perspectives and technical literacy. Duties included: programming as well graphical and interface design.
Computer Ethics: Reshaping Society Through Technology
Designed and co-taught (with Sherri Conklin) a high school enrichment course. What we share online and how this highly tailored personal information is used is a topic of continuous concern and debate. In this class we explored what these algorithms “know” about us and how they gather data. This class provided an overview of active areas of computer science including: Big Data, Machine Learning, Networking, Security, and Human Computer Interaction. The class taught skills for understanding how the technologies work as well as philosophical skills for critically engaging with these technologies.
Introduction to Computer Communication Networks (TA)
As a teaching assistant, I led discussion sections, held office hours, moderated an online forum, and graded student assignments. This course covered the fundamentals of computer networks including the application, transport, network, and link layers.
Translation of Programming Languages (TA)
As a teaching assistant, I led discussion sections, held office hours, moderated an online forum, and graded student assignments. This course covered how to construct parsers and compilers. Due to the difficult nature of the class, as a TA I spent lots of time outside of class helping students understand the class material and to apply it to their course projects.
Data Structure and Algorithms (TA)
As a teaching assistant, I led discussion sections, held office hours, moderated an online forum, and graded student assignments. This was a proof heavy course covering greedy algorithms, divide and conquer, dynamic programming, np-completeness, and approximation algorithms.
Computer Science Bootcamp (TA)
As a teaching assistant, I led lab section, held office hours, moderated an online forum, and graded student assignments. This was an intro course targeted to non computer scientists that covered a wide range of topics such as data encoding, image formats, python programming, audio encoding, graph traversal, and huffman coding.
Foundations of Computer Science (TA)
As a teaching assistant, I led discussion sections, held office hours, and graded student assignments. This course introduced students to core mathematical concepts underpinning computer science such as logic, inductive proofs, recursion set theory, combinatorics .
- Artificial Intelligence
- Programming Languages
- Computer Design
- Computer Architecture
- Operating Systems
- Computer Security
- Computer Communication and Networks
- Basic Data Structures & Object Oriented Design
- Advanced Data Structures
- Software Engineering
- Cognitive Science
- Computability & Intractability
- Mathematical Reasoning
- Advanced Calculus
- Advanced Linear Algebra
- Graph Theory
- Number Theory
- Physics (Electromagnetic, Optics, Mechanical, Thermodynamics)
- Analog Design
- Circuits and Systems
- Computational Geometry
- Distributed Computing
- Computer Networks
- Mobile Computing
- Cloud Computing
- Mobile Networks
- Mobile Imaging
- Data Intensive Computing
- Java Distributed Computing
- Sociology & Biology Networks
- Education: Blended Learning Course Design